History of Verendrye
Verendrye is a non-profit electric cooperative that was formed in 1939 in the tiny town of Verendrye, located about 13 miles northeast of Velva. The cooperative’s office was moved to Velva in 1941.
In the 1930s and 40s many rural residents did not have electricity delivered to their homes like residents in cities. That’s because investor-owned utilities could not make a profit in the rural areas because there were few customers per mile of line compared to cities.
Rural residents took it upon themselves to start their own electricity cooperatives. With the help of low interest loans and technical assistance provided by the Rural Electrification Act, rural electrification became a reality throughout the nation, and to this day can be considered one of the greatest accomplishments in our country’s history.
Today Verendrye stays true to its purpose of providing affordable, reliable electricity and being a part of the communities that we serve.
Learn more about Verendrye Electric and its history by watching the video below or clicking on the link to the left to read the 75th Anniversary History Book.